Wednesday, March 6, 2019

October 3-7, 2018 North Shore Trip - Day Hiking

Solo Trip - Day Hikes with Pack
20 miles total



At first I had planned to do a section hike with a new acquaintance but she had a conflict plus the weather had turned especially cold during these days. I couldn't bear the thought of not going up! The North Shore was calling me and I must go! So I decided to go by myself, stay at the cabin and do several day hikes with my gear. When I looked at the forecast only Thursday the 4th was forecasted to be sunny, so I left Wednesday afternoon to drive up there so I could use the whole day on Thursday for hiking. I am sure glad I did that!




Day 1 - 10 miles in Tettegouche State Park

I woke up to a beautiful sunrise and after a nourishing breakfast I headed to Tettegouche SP to grab a map. I had use the "Hiking the North Shore" book to do my route planning. The weather was sunny and calm and I started my hike on Hwy 1 at 10:30 heading to the High Falls of the Baptism River. It was gorgeous and I got to cross a swinging bridge.












 Back at the cabin by 6 pm to make a fire and cook some brats for supper! A tree fell across the yard and created a detour to the outhouse!

Day 2 - 3.25

On Friday the 5th I woke up to clouds, rain and cold wind and I didn't feel too great since it happened to be that time of the month. I took it easy but decided to get out for a shorter hike since keeping moving normally feels better for my body anyway. I headed up 6 out of Little Marais and hiked up to Sawmill Dome. It was mostly drizzle by now and chilly. When I was moving I was very comfortable but when taking a break one cools down quickly.




 

 













Day 3 - 7 Miles in George Crosby Manitou SP

Today I found my new favorite State Park! I couldn't believe how beautiful and wild this park is that is hidden a ways inland from the Shore and down a very long dirt road. It was cloudy today and cool but not rainy. 

'





1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting these blogs! The photos and descriptions carry me along with you on those trips and it's wonderful to enjoy it all from the comfort of my Lazy Boy chair. Haha

    ReplyDelete